How much water are we using each day
The World Health Organisation has revealed that the average person uses 137 litres of water a day which hugely exceeds the minimum required per person! To put this into perspective it’s 274 normal bottles of 500ml water a day!
We should all be trying to make an effort to cut down our water usage and you might even remember the days of the hosepipe bans when you were younger! Here are some really easy ways to cut back on how many litres of water you’re getting through at home:
- Keep a bottle of drinking water in the fridge - this will mean you don't have to run the tap to get a chilled glass of water
- Boil the kettle with enough water for what you’ll actually use so you're not wasting any
- Only turn on the washing machine when it's full - if you’ve not got enough to make a full load you could see if there’s anything your housemates need washing
- Use a dishwasher instead of washing up - fully loaded dishwashers actually use less water than washing up pots by hand
- Have shorter showers - of course, make sure you’re nice and refreshed when you get out, but a 15-minute shower uses the same amount of water as a bath and this doubles if you have the luxury of a power shower!